Posted on Monday January 11, 2021 9:20 AM by James Romoser
Before the Supreme Court a busy week. The judges return to the virtual platform for oral arguments, starting Monday at 10 am Fam against. Guzman Chavez, A case about whether some non-citizens facing deportation are eligible for bond hearings while asserting claims that they do not qualify for deportation to a particular country. Our case preview is Here. Before Guzman Chavez Hajjah, 9:30 am, the court is expected to issue additional orders from its special conference last week – after The review was granted in a whopping 14 cases Friday evening. This Thursday, the court is expected to issue one or more opinions in the contentious cases. The federal government plans to execute three people on death row this week, which means that the court will likely rule on last-minute appeals related to those executions.
Here’s a brief roundup of news and commentary about the Supreme Court from around the web:
- As Democrats prepare to take over Washington, Supreme Court member Briar faces renewed calls for retirement (Robert Barnes, Washington Post)
- The U.S. Supreme Court weighs whether schools may discipline students for speaking over the Internet (Mark Walsh, Education Week)
- Jenny Thomas, Clarence’s wife, rejoiced at the rally that turned into a Capitol riot (Mark Joseph Stern, Slate)
- A flood-hit city heads to the Supreme Court over climate damage (Jennifer Hegazy, E&E News)
- An Easy Retrospective Case Made Hard – Part Three, TigPhantom exception (Kent Scheidegger, Crime and Consequences)
- The circus is coming to the courts (John Grove, Law & Liberty)
- Preview Fam against. Guzman Chavez (Noah Welsh and Chris Maw, Cornell Legal Information Institute)
We depend on our readers to send us links for our report. If you have or are aware of an article, post, podcast or editorial (published in the last two or three days) related to the Supreme Court and would like us to consider including it, please send it to roundup @ scotusblog .com. Thank you!
Scotus Blog (January 11, 2021, 9:20 am), https://www.scotusblog.com/2021/01/monday-round-up-517/